<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Climbing is a peaceful drug I can't quit 

I lunge up, my fingertips catch the lip of the rock, I cling tightly, tendons in my arm in unified rigidity, every neuron in my mind focuses on the texture beneath my fingertips. I let out a primal grunt, almost a scream. I lift my left foot to reposition it higher, straining to keep my right foot on the rock. My right foot pops off and my legs swing out like a pendulum. I look down at my feet as they start to swing, and I see the water 15 feet below, and for a split instant realize the very real possibility I will fall into that water now. I am not afraid of the fall, it will hurt, but it will not hurt much. It would be so easy to let go, I have gotten far, I have done well, there is no shame in falling. But in this moment where I couldn't tell you my name, where there is not a stray thought beyond the instant of the climb all I know is that I do not want to fall, that I cannot fall, that my life up to this point has culminated in a single purpose at a single time, that time is now and that purpose is not falling, in this moment I am at perfect peace and all is right with the world. I swing my feet back in, catch a small pocket the size of my toe. I find a small edge of flat rock just wider than a #2 pencil, and I put my other foot on it. Then I continue climbing, every move as if it were the last move my body would make before I die. Continually at the limit of possibility with no assurance of success. Then I stand at the top, triumphant, relieved, proud, and a little saddended. Saddened because the climb is over.

And like a junkie I am already thinking about my next fix.

Comments:
Joel, I loved this! Captures perfectly the insanity, the hyper-focus on the moment, the joy of nothing else....

Was this an impression from before, or did you climb over the water in December?

Just discovered your blog through a link on Twitter (which I've only recently discovered how to use). Fun to read....

See you climbing!
 
It was an attempt to recreate the feeling of climbing at Pace Bend. It's not a literal account of a particular climb, but an amalgam of climbs. This series of posts (my blog is usually pretty sparse) were written awhile ago when I couldn't sleep at like 4:30 in the morning. I'm just getting around to putting them on the blog.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?