<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, January 21, 2008

Haging out in the Airport 

First, I'd like to thank Anchorage Airport for providing free wi-fi. Anchorage is a great place to fly to for a lot of little reasons like this.

I'm heading back home after just over a week in Anchorage, Homer, Anchor Point, Nanwalek, and Alyeska (Girdwood). It was nice to drive out by the home I grew up in. It was nice to see Pat (my step Grandma) and my Mom. It was nice to do a little skiing. I only got to see a few people I grew up with because most people have run away to other cities, but it was nice to see them. It was a nice trip that was long overdue, and I'm glad I finally did it.

One question I wanted to answer was would it feel like coming home to come here. When I lived in Anchor Point I really belonged there. It was home in a way no other place has been home since. Since I left I've felt like a nomad. Kerrivlle, Locust Grove, Abilene, Austin. In those places I've made friends, I've gotten to know the restaurants and the hang outs. I've been in Austin for almost 7 years now, which is approaching the amount of time I lived in Anchor Point.

The answer is no, it felt like I was visiting a distant land that I was somehow strangely familiar with.

And unfortunately going back to Austin won't feel like home either, at least not the same way. It's where my family is, who I miss and will be happy to see. It's where my house is, my job of many years is, my roses are, and where you can get a good margarita at any restaurant. But Anchor Point was a part of who I was as a person. There wasn't a clear separation between the town and myself. I don't think another place will hold that kind of symbiotic bond for me again. And I don't think Anchor Point would if I went back there.

I guess this is part of growing up, and right now I feel old. Really old.

Comments:
I've lived in Austin longer than anywhere and love my hubby and family too. However, I find I reference Ark as "home" a lot. I think it is part of your high school experience. Does Sarah consider Austin "home" or CA?
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?