<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

5 years at IBM 

Today 6/6/2006, some say the mark of the beast day, I have been at IBM 5 years. Going around talking to some of the people I've known and worked with for most of those 5 years I have gotten a lot of congratulations and condolances. It is truly a bittersweet moment.

I get to do technical work I find challenging and at times rewarding. I get paid fairly well to do so, and that money supports my family. The pressure, the constantly being under a thousand deadlines, the abrasive power hungry project managers, those things are not rewarding. Those things crush your spirit. Almost as much as watching your plans and dreams slip by while your toil goes to another's profit. I am mortal, and I have enough energy to work for two of my company, my family, and myself. For the last 5 years self has taken a backseat, a choice I've made conciously, but which is hard nonetheless.

Anyway, here are some lines from Joe vs the Volcano script I found appropriate:

I've been here for four and a
half years. The work I did I
probably could've done in
five, six months. That leaves
four years leftover.

Four years. If I had them
now. Like gold in my hand.

This life. Life? What a
joke. This situation This
room.

You look terrible, Mr. Waturi.
You look like a bag of shit
stuffed inna cheap suit. Not
that anyone would look good
under these zombie lights. I
can feel them sucking the
juice outta my eyeballs. Three
hundred bucks a week, that's
the news. For three hundred
bucks a week I've lived in
this sink. This used rubber.

I've gone all day, every
day, not doing, not saying,
not taking the chance for
three hundred bucks a week,

And why, I ask myself, why
have I put up with you? I
can't imagine but I know.
Fear. Yellow freakin' fear.
I've been too chicken shit
afraid to live my life so I
sold it to you for three
hundred freakin' dollars a
week! You're lucky I don't
kill you! You're lucky I don't
rip your freakin' throat out!
But I'm not going to and maybe
you're not so lucky at that.
'Cause I'm gonna leave you
here, Mister Wa-a-Waturi, and
what could be worse than that?

Comments:
So what would you do if you worked for yourself? What are your dreams?
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?